Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Nidradevi, where art thou....

In 10th or 11th, we had this chapter called Nidradevi Aaradhana ( A prayer to the Goddess of sleep). Cannot remember who wrote it, but vaguely remember it was a funny take on the authors love for deep slumber or a quick nap in the afternoon. Apparently, he could sleep anywhere, anytime. Just close his eyes and he is asleep.
There are people i know who do this. They say when you are under some pressure or trouble : raato ki neend ud gayi! . But that dsnt affect such people. People stay overnight in office planning to work but go to sleep. In buses, flights and trains, the minute the settle, sleep.
They say 6 hours sleep is essential for a person to stay fresh and alert rest of the day. In my case, its 8 hours - for 2 days. So, since i slept well for 6 hours or so last night, its unlikely i'll sleep for more than 2 hours tonite. In buses and flights, I can sleep only if I m dead tired - otherwise my time is spent hitting something or the other with my feet, knees, elbow and head which dsnt get the headrest, In trains, the constant motion and space crunch doesnt really let me sleep peacefully.

Not that I really mind the insomnia. Just love the silence, the peace of the night. All by myself, no noise, no comments, no instructions, no distractions. To look at the space around you. The world outside, the moving traffice, a solitary soul walking about. In a more independent setting, I would have probably set out for a stroll myself. Have done that a couple of times in Nagpur, Ahmedabad. In Mumbai, ofcourse it has been a late nite long drive!

One possible reason why I got into this habit is that I know its difficult for me to wake up once i do sleep. So if anything is to be finished, i'll try and do it before i sleep. People say wake up and do it with a fresh mind but I cant open my eyelids!!
Which is what will happen tommorow also i guess.

Mom suggests I should wake up early and then i'll get in the habit of sleeping on time. At some point I have tried that too. Some people have suggested yoga, meditate and i have tried that too. (infact isnt insomnia like meditation, i have cut myself from everything and m trying to focus? I think driving a bike is like meditating. You have to focus on balance and i generally end up a bit relaxed after a ride.). Even reading all night doesnt help. Another suggestion mom would give when we were kids : chup chaap aakh band karke so jao!(Shut your eyes and sleep!). As if I intended to sleep with eyes open.....

Anyways, i'll try to sleep again and hope to wake up healthy wealthy and wise!

2 comments:

suku said...

so jaa bachcha....nahi toh gabbar aa jaayega!!!!!!!!!

akash.Ingle said...

Kya aaplo raat ko neend nahi aa rahi... ye taklif aap ko salo se sata rahi hai... Bas aap ke taklifo ka hul bus ek phone call ki duri par... Call kare sender ko aur aaram ki neend so jaye...

SHARTIYA ILAJ..